Whole Heart Therapy
I'm new to therapy - how does it work?
The first step to beginning is to have a quick conversation with me. During this phone call, ask me what my style is and how I would describe myself as a therapist. The most important ingredient of any therapeutic relationship is the connection that you and your therapist create.
When you have decided you want to begin. Call or email me to schedule an appointment. I will ask you for your email address to send you the new client paperwork. I use an electronic health management practice platform that is HIPAA compliant. This paperwork, which includes your consent to begin treatment which is required before the first session.
Once you have submitted the new client paperwork, you will use the client portal to initiate a TeleMental Health session or visit me at my office in Fountain Valley.
The fee is $110 for a 50-minute session.
Please call me for a 20-minute phone/video consultation at no cost. The right fit is crucial for effective counseling.
There are a limited number of reduced-fee slots for clients and families who cannot otherwise afford counseling. If you are interested in a reduced-fee, please ask, and if a slot is availble, your fee will be reduced.
Payment is received using a HIPAA complicant application called Ivy that takes Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
Currently accepting Medicare insurance and private pay. If you have other mental healh insurance benefits, I can create a super bill for you to give to your insurance carrier who may pay out-of-network benefits.
What is your schedule?
Online therapy appointments are available Tuesday - Thursday from 10am - 5pm PT (noon - 7pm CT). On Fridays, three in-person sessions are available in the Fountain Valley office to ensure time to effectively clean the space before the next session.
Do you have evening or weekend appointments?
Unfortunately, there are no weekend appointments at this time.
Do you accept credit cards?
Yes, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover through Ivy Pay, a secure application.
Can I call you during the week if there is a crisis?
Absolutely. Phone calls 10 minutes or less are free. If you need more time, a phone session will be billed to you.
If I am not available and you are experiencing a mental health crisis, please call 911 or your county crisis line:
- Orange County, CA 877 727-4747
- Johnson County, KS 913 268-0156
- Wyandotte County, KS 913 788-4200
- Jackson, Johnson, Cass, Lafayette, Platte, Ray counties, MO 888 279-8188
What should I expect at my first session?
Prior to our first session, you will be asked to complete initial paperwork via a client portal that is secure and confidential. During your first session, I will listen to your concerns and situation, learn what your goals are in counseling and start to define a treatment plan.
Why should I see someone who isn't covered by my insurance?
Even if you have good mental health benefits, paying out of pocket has a variety of advantages, including:
- Freedom in choosing your provider. You can choose a provider that is the best fit for you and more consistent with your values.
- No mental health disorders on your medical record (you don't need to meet "medical necessity" with a documented diagnosis)
- You can seek treatment for personal concerns, family communication difficulties, and other issues that insurance typically does not cover
- The length, frequency, and duration of therapy is based on your needs, not your managed health care restrictions
- You have more control over how your personal health information is used
There are so many therapists out there! How do I choose?
Research has shown that the relationship is the most important indicator of success in therapy. Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine from a website whether you will connect well with a therapist. There are a few things you can do to help you decide:
- Look at a therapist's specialties and experience. Does he or she know how to work with your specific needs and issues?
- Therapy is one of those things where intuition and "vibes" can be important. Trust your gut instinct.
- Most therapists offer free short consultations to determine whether you're a good fit. If you can't decide between a handful of options, that initial contact is a great non-committal way to get a feel for their personality and style.